Saturday, 27 December 2014

English Grammar (Direct and Indirect Speech) for class 9 to 12


Direct and Indirect Speech

Direct Speech तथा Indirect Speech कोई नयी चीज नहीं है | हम प्रतिदिन कभी Direct Speech तथा कभी Indirect Speech में बात करते है | जैसे कि –

राम ( श्याम से ) : मै तुम्हें एक किताब दूँगा |

जब राम व्दारा कही गई बात को श्याम ने किसी दूसरे को बताया तो श्याम कहा कि –

राम ने मुझसे कहा                       मै तुम्हे एक किताब दूँगा |

जो बात राम ने श्याम से कही थी ठीक वही बात ( बिना शब्दों को बदले ) श्याम ने किसी दूसरे को कह दिया | अत:- “कही गई बात को ज्यों का त्यों (As it is) कह देना Direct Speech कहलाता है |”

यदि श्याम किसी दूसरे से कहता कि – वह मुझे एक किताब देगा |  तो यहाँ राम के व्दारा कहे गए शब्दों में अन्तर हो जाता है | अत:- “ कही गई बात को अपने शब्दों में कहना Indirect Speech कहलाता है |”

अब एक Direct Speech के वाक्य को देखते है –

He said to me, “I have completed my work.”

यह एक वाक्य दो भागों में बट जाता है –

He said to me, “I have completed my work.”

                  Reporting Speech                Reported Speech     

उसी प्रकार Reporting Speech तीन भागों में बट जाता है –

            He                               said to                                                 me

Reporting Subject           Reporting Verb                   Reporting Object

Note – विध्यार्थी भली भांति याद कर ले की said to / said से पहले Reporting Subject तथा बाद में Reporting Object आता है |

 

Rules

1.   Reporting Verb को निम्न के अनुसार बदलते है –

said  -  said                  said to  -   told

say  -  say                    say to  -  tell

says  -  tell                   says to  -  tells

2.      Comma, Inverted Commas को हटाकर that लगाते है |

3.      सभी Pronouns (He, She, I, We, You, They, it, ...) को तीन भागों में बाटा गया है-

1.      First Person Pronoun  [ I, We ]

2.      Second Person Pronoun [ You ]

3.      Third Person Pronoun [ I, We तथा You को छोड़कर अन्य सभी ]

i.        First Person Pronoun को Reporting Subject के अनुसार बदलते है |

ii.     Second Person Pronoun को Reporting Object के अनुसार बदलते है |

iii.   Third Person Pronoun को बदला नहीं जाता है |

4.      Reported Speech के वाक्य के Tense को निम्न के अनुसार बदलते है –

Present Indefinite                        -                       Past Indefinite

Present Continuous                     -                       Past Continuous

Present Perfect                             -                       Past Perfect

Present Perfect Continuous         -                       Past Perfect Continuous

 

Past Indefinite                             -                       Past Perfect

Past Continuous                          -                       Past Perfect Continuous

Past Perfect                                  -                       No Change

Past Perfect Continuous              -                       No Change

 

                                                     Future Tense

                                         Will                 -           Would

                                         Shall                -           Should            

Model Auxiliary

Can, Could, Would, Should, May, Might, Must, ought to, use to, need to, dare  

केवल दो Model Auxiliary को बदलते है –

                        Can       -          Could

                        May     -           Might 

5.      निकटता बताने वाले शब्दों को दूरी बताने वाले शब्दों में निम्न के अनुसार बदल देते है –

This     -           That                             These               -           Those

Here    -           There                           Last                 -           Previous

Ago     -           Before                         Now                -           Then

Thus    -           So                                Next                -           Following

Today  -           That day                      Tonight           -           That night

Yesterday        -           The Previous Day

Tomorrow       -           The Next Day / The following day

Hence              -           Thence

6.         Subject                        Possessive Pronoun                             Object

             He                                          His                                          Him

            She                                          Her                                          Her


I
 

I
 

I
 
              I                                             My                                           Me


II
 

II
 

II
 
            We                                           Our                                          Us

            You                                         Your                                        You    

They                                        Their                                       Them

 

Examples

Noteउदाहरण करने से पहले निम्न बातों पर ध्यान देना अति आवश्यक है –

1.      Reported Speech के अन्दर केवल पांच शव्द बदले जाते है –

1. Subject        2. Object         3. Possessive Pronoun 4. Tense           5. निकटता बताने वाले शब्द दूरी बताने वाले शब्दों में

2. Subject, Object तथा Possessive Pronoun को बदलने के लिए तीन प्रश्न करो –

            i. कौन सा Person है ?

            ii. किसके अनुसार बदलेगा ?

iv.    क्या है ? (Subject , Object , Possessive Pronoun)

 

निम्न उदाहरण को ध्यान से देखो –

She said to me, “I have learnt my lesson.”

> Reporting Subject तथा Reporting Object को ज्यों का त्यों लिखते है तथा said to को told में बदलते है | Comma inverted Commas को हटाकर that लगाते है |

She told me that ..........

> Subject I (First Person) को Reporting Subject (She) के अनुसार बदलते है |

She told me that she ........

> have learnt Tense है अत: इसे बदला देते है [ Present Perfect – Past  Perfect ]

She told me that she had learnt .........

> my Possessive Pronoun है जो First Person Pronoun है अत: Reporting Subject के अनुसार बदलेगा | my Possessive Pronoun है तथा she का Possessive Pronoun Her है अत: my के स्थान पर her आयेगा |

She told me that she had learnt her ........

> lesson को बदला नहीं जायेगा क्योकि lesson न तो Subject है, न ही Object, न ही  Possessive Pronoun, न ही  Tense और न ही  निकटता बताने बाला शब्द है |

She told me that she had learnt her lesson.

उपरोक्त नियमों के अनुसार अन्य उदाहरण देखें –

            You said to him, “I do not help you.”

            You told her that you did not help him.

I (Subject) First Person Pronoun  - Reporting Subject (You) के अनुसार – You (Subject)

do not (Present Indefinite Tense)  -  Past Indefinite Tense (did not)

You (Object) Second Person Pronoun  -  Reporting Object (him) के अनुसार – him(Object)

            She said to them, “You can not help me.”

            She told them that they could not help her.  

You (Subject) Second Person Pronoun  - Reporting Object (Them) के अनुसार –They (Subject)

Can  (Model Auxiliary)  -  Could

me (Object) First Person Pronoun  -  Reporting Subject (She) के अनुसार – her(Object)

            I said, “You will pass this examination now.”

            I said that I Should pass that examination then.

[ यदि Object नहीं दिया जाता है तो him/me मान लिया जाता है परन्तु वाक्य के भाव के अनुसार कोई भी Object माना जा सकता है | ]

You (Subject) Second Person Pronoun  - Reporting Object (me मान लिया) के अनुसार - I (Subject)

यहाँ will का would नहीं किया क्योकि नया Subject I है तथा I के साथ Shall आता है अत: shall का should होगा | 

this तथा now निकटता बताने वाले शब्द है अत: इन्हे that तथा then में बदलेंगे |

            My brother said to us, “ I shall go with him.”

            My brother told us that he would go with him.

I (Subject) First Person Pronoun  - Reporting Subject (My brother) के अनुसार–he (Subject)

shall का should नहीं करेंगें क्योकि कि he के साथ will आता है अत: will का would होगा |

him (Object) Third Person Pronoun  -  Third Person Pronoun नहीं बदलता है |

**************

नोट – यदि We,  Our  तथा us को I / We के अनुसार बदलते है तो We का We , Our का Our तथा us का us ही रहता है और यदि किसी अन्य Pronoun के अनुसार बदलते है तो We – They में, Our – Their में तथा us – them में बदल जाता है |

            He said, “ We should do our work.”

            He said that they should do their work.

            I said to Ram, “ We must help us.”

            I told Ram that we must help us.   

***************

Vocative Case

सम्बोधन करने वाले, पुकारने वाले, आवाज लगाने वाले शब्द Vacative Case कहलाते है | Vacative Case, Comma व्दारा वाक्य से अलग रहता है | Vocative Case को बहार निकल कर Object बना देते है |

            Mother said, “Amit, you may go now.”

            Mother said to Amit, “You may go now.”

            Mothar told Amit that he might go then.

            Teacher said, “ I shall teach you Hindi, students.”

            Teacher said to students, “ I shall teach you Hindi.”

            Teacher told students that he would teach them Hindi.

>you को बदलकर them आयेगा क्योकि students बहुवचन है यदि student होता तो him आता |

****************

Addressing Case

यदि सम्बोधन शब्द के साथ कोई Adjective आता है तो वह Addressing Case कहलाता है

            Father said, “My daer Daughter, you should work hard.”

            Addressing as his daer daughter, father told that she should work hard.

Ø पहले Addressing as लगाकर Addressing case को Indirect बनाते है तथा बाद में बचे हुए वाक्य को |

****************

Reflexive Pronoun

            He       -           himself                        She      -           herself

            I           -           myself                         you      -           yourself

            we       -           ourselves                     they     -           themselves

            He said to her, “ I can do it myself.”

            He told her that he could do it himself.

Ø यदि आप myself को बदलकर hisself लगाते है तो वह गलत होगा क्योकि hisself कुछ होता ही नहीं है |

**************

कुछ Conditions में हम Reported Speech के वाक्य के Tense में परिवर्तन नहीं करते है, जो निम्न है –

1.      यदि Reporting Verb, Present / Past Tense में हो |

Sita Says to Ramesh, “I am not going to Agra.”

Sita tells Ramesh that she is not going to Agra.

Teacher will say, “You can solve this question.”

Teacher will say that he can solve that question.

2.      यदि Reported Speech का वाक्य सर्वभौमिक सत्य (Universal Truth) हो |

 Teacher said, “The Earth moves round tha Sun.”

Teacher said that the Earth moves round the Sun.

3.      यदि Reported Speech का वाक्य आदत सम्बन्धी (Habitual Truth) हो |

He said to me, “Dog Barks at the stranger.”

He told me that dog barks at the stranger.

4.      यदि Reported Speech का वाक्य कहावत (Proverb) हो |

     Father said, “ Honesty is the best policy.”

     Father said that honesty is the best policy.

5.      यदि Reported Speech का वाक्य ऐतिहासिक तथ्य  (Historical Fact) हो |

Mother said, “ India got freedom in 1947.”

     Mother said that India got freedom in 1947.
Exercise
She said, “ When the cat is away, mice play.” 
Father told me, “The earth is round.” 
He says, “ You have gone to Agra.” 
She will say, “ You can not do it.” 
He has said, “ I am going.” 
My elder sister said, “ The sun sets in the west.”
Sanju said, “I must find the job for myself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment